Monday, April 10, 2006

How To Pray

As I sit at my laptop early this Monday morning I have just concluded my morning devotions. This morning I finished the last chapter of II Chronicles. You may not know that this is joined with I Chronicles in the Jewish Bible and simply called "The Chronicles of the Kings." The one thing that struck me while reading of these leaders of Judah who reigned from their throne in Jerusalem was they were on top of the world (religiously speaking.) They were sitting on the throne of David. There was no more important or desired place to be for an Old Testament Jew. Such privilege also came with a price. Their position placed them as the spiritual and political leader of God's chosen people. Some did well at their task, others failed. They would either "do good in the sight of LORD" or they would "do evil." According to their leadership the people would follow the same path. Either prosperity would follow a good king or evil and calamity would come upon the nation during an evil king's reign. With great privilege comes great responsibility! I think about that phrase often. God has chosen to bless the church I serve. In the last three weeks at least 5 people have come to know Christ. We have more than a dozen baptisms waiting to take place. (After the set is cleared from the Easter program.) A dozen wonderful families and a few children have joined our fellowship during the same time frame. There is no sign of the growth letting up. As I told a pastor friend of mine, "I'm just trying to keep out of God's way." With such privilege comes great responsibility. So here's how you can help. Pray. Don't get long winded in your prayers for me. Save that for others. Just pray this way. "Lord keep Pastor Ken clean and close." That's all you need to say. He will know what you mean.
In His Shadow,
Pastor Ken