Saturday, September 02, 2006

What's Your Cup of Coffee?

It's Saturday and that can mean only one thing. It's the day of my weekly breakfast ride. Every Saturday, weather permitting, I get up before the slumbering Duggan family, climb on top of the Gold Wing and ride somewhere for early morning "vittels". In a manner that completely goes against my pension for diversity I have been riding to Starbucks the last month or so. This morning I decided to get out of the rut I was in. So I thought, "Where can I go that will be on the other side of the breakfast universe from Starbucks?" The answer was obvious, Huddle House. So I mounted my trusty metal and fiberglass steed and dialed the GPS to the nearest Waffle House look-a-like. After a few minutes of two wheel touring I pulled into the parking lot of the local roadside diner. I surveyed the scene for members of Dallas Bay Baptist. More than once I have made the mistake of not noticing a member in a booth nearby and have heared the hushed voices say, "He thinks he's too good to talk with us." So, attempting to be hospitable, I eyed each vinyl booth and spinning stool. Nope, no one there I knew. I could set my helmet and gloves at the closest empty booth and order coffee.

The waitress, chewing gum and smiling from ear to ear, inquired, "What'll ye have hon?" I pointed at the egg, sausage, hashbrowns and toast on the plastic coated legal size menu. "Grits?", was her concise but ample closing remark as she walked away. "No thanks" I said as I began to observe my surroundings. I could not help but compare this morning's destination with the last few weeks Saturday morning eatery. Starbucks is post modern and efficient. The staff speaks and understands a vernacular unknown outside their establishment. Grandes, lattes, mochas and frap's roll off their tongue like it was second nature. And their always smiling. Something about the feel of the place makes you feel good about sipping 3 dollar coffee from a paper cup. Huddle House is anything but post-modern. The artwork on the wall is enlargements of the photos from the menu. There's a "patty melt" sandwich poster next to a "western omlette" still life just over my shoulder. The coffee is good and hot and served with a smile in a ceramic mug for 1/3 the price of Starbucks. They have their own vocabulary as well. The order is yelled across the restaurant with words like smothered, covered, and some other gutteral noises that sound almost profane. I just have to ask one question. What exec back at corporate headquarters chose a bright red visor to be worn with a maroon shirt trimmed in brown. It had to be a man. I just had a thought. I'll bet I'm the only male patron to notice the colors clash. I may need to trade the Honda in for another Harley. I think I'm getting a little too sensitive.

Back to the topic at hand. I'm starting to realize that Starbucks and Huddle House have more in common than is immediately apparent. I am not suggesting the large shirtless man in overalls, #3 ball cap, beard and chains would ever be caught dead at SB's, but there are many similarities. These people feel right at home in a roadside diner where you get 10% off with your church bulletin. They like being with people who accept them just the way they are. Just like the college student who sat near me at Starbucks last week with his laptop and latte. I noticed too that the parking lot of Huddle House was populated with trucks and cars, mostly trucks, made of good old Detroit iron. Starbucks was adorned with Beemers, SUV's, and compacts. They looked as at home in that parking lot as did the vehicles back at the roadside diner. That's the connection. People like being around people and places that make them comfortable. Where they can be themselves without fear of people pointing at them and whispering. I know I make everything spiritual, but that's my job. I'm a Baptist preacher, after all. People want to worship in an environment where they are most comfortable. They don't want someone to soft peddle the truth. They don't want a wishy-washy gospel. People don't want us to speak a language that is foreign to them. They do expect good service and a smile. They do want to be accepted and not pointed at. We just have to realize that the people who enjoy the Huddle House and could not imagine paying $3 for a grande will attend a church that reflects that lifestyle. And for a long time that was the only kind of church many communities offered. I will probably return to Starbucks myself next week. I just wish I could get them to serve hashbrowns.
In His Shadow,
Pastor Ken