Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Your Brother and Sister Have Jobs

It is here again, back to school. I was reminded this morning as I had to make a U-Turn to get out of the traffic backed up at the local high school for registration. It doesn't make a huge difference at the Duggan household since we have home-schooled for years. Where I feel the most impact is at church. Now that people are filling backpacks instead of picnic baskets families will be coming back to church in droves. The work load picks up too. I love it!

The increase in activities and the increase in crowds are all signs of a healthy and growing community of faith. It also makes life just a little more hairy. You see most people only see me on Sunday morning. I think a lot of people imagine I just show up for a couple of hours on Sunday, do my job, shake a few hands, smile a lot and go home only to show up and do it again next Sunday. I'll never forget a few years ago when a lady remarked to my wife how lucky Marilyn was to be married to a man who was payed a full time salary who only had to work 2 hours a week! I was really proud of my wife's restraint. She took a deep breath, smiled, and began to recite a typical week's activities for a pastor and his family. The lady was actually surprised to find out that it is a 24/7 job. I don't blame that lady for not knowing. You wouldn't know the pace of life in a growing church unless you have ever been a part. I am not complaining. I love what I do. I can't imagine doing anything else. I am one of those fortunate few who make a living doing what they would do for free. (Don't tell that to any member of the finance committee, please.) The only reason I brought the subject up at all is the phone call I received yesterday from my mother. She needs to be driven to an appointment today and she doesn't own a car. I am happy to help, but it was the way she asked that made me laugh. She said, "You know I hate to ask on such short notice, but your brother and sister have jobs and they couldn't take me. Could you pick me up at 2:15?"

Oh well, it meant cancelling my tee time, rescheduling my massage, telling the boys down at the yacht club "some other day" but I squeezed her in. At least I don't have to work again until Sunday morning when I write the notes to my sermon on the back of a napkin on the way to church. I can't believe I get away with this!
In His Shadow,
Pastor Ken