Tuesday, May 30, 2006

No Body Writes Books About Wimps

Someone is letting me borrow a book. It was written by Joyce Rogers about her husband Adrian. There are a few people in the ministry that I admire more than others. One of those men was Adrian Rogers. I say "was" because he has recently gone to be with the Lord. What a legacy he has left behind, and what an attitude he had. Once when his infant son was found dead in the crib from SIDS he was confronted by an unbeliever about his tragedy. The man wanted to know how he could serve a God that would let innocent children die. Adrian rebuked the man saying that the event would cause him to preach even harder. His son had died because sin was prevalant in the world, and as long as there was sin that caused innocent babies to die he would fight and preach against it. As a boy young Rogers was always picking a fight or getting in trouble. This great man used all the vinegar God had put in him to fight just as hard against the enemy as a pastor. He was well loved by his friends but he sent a chill up the spine of his foes. Adrian Rogers never stepped down from a fight. When the SBC was headed so deep into the sea of liberal theology that it was in danger of never returning, Dr. Rogers gathered like-minded Baptists into a boat and brought the ship back to its conservative moorings. Some, including myself, considered it a rescue mission. Others called it piracy. He did not care. This was a job appointed by his Master and he would do it or die. Reading about this man I realize sometimes what a wimp I can be. No body writes books about wimps. So this morning my prayer is, "Oh Lord, may I be deeply loved by my friends and greatly feared by my enemies. Give me the backbone of those who stand tall against adversity like your servant Dr. Rogers."