Thursday, April 20, 2006

What's In the Bucket?

Well we've been tallying results from Easter Sunday. Best we can tell there were between 2,200 - 2,400 on campus last Sunday. That's up from around 1,800 last year. One big difference, there were 4 people who made professions of faith this year. That added to the 31 who were saved only days before during "The Passover Lamb" comes to 35. Another big WOO-HOO! We are still calling all those who indicated a desire to join the DBBC fellowship in the last month. If all pans out there will about 20 new families as a part of our church family. With all those positive numbers I should be on top of the world right? Well, while I am excited, such growth comes at a cost. Not everyone likes creativity in worship. To some the changes are not what they like. They like tradition. Tradition is so closely tied to their faith it is difficult for them to separate the two. So things like a bucket that contains heaven with rock, country, and gospel songs is more irritating than inspiring. So again this morning I received news that another senior adult family has moved their membership to a very traditional church. They were good people I'm sure and DBBC is poorer because they are gone. Maybe no one but a pastor could understand how I feel. I feel very responsible for feeding the flock, young and old. It is a balancing act to reach the unchurched while ministering to those who have been Christians longer than I've been alive. Those of you who read this blog are concerned about Dallas Bay as I am. Just say a prayer that I will stand true to the vision God has called me to pursue and not to be distracted by sheep who find other pasture. (Boy, that was corny.) You know what I mean.
God bless,
Pastor Ken