Monday, June 05, 2006

Is It the Person Or the Place That Makes the Difference?

What is a valid response to the invitation to follow Christ? Is it to walk with hundreds or thousands to the center of a football stadium and stand with others who have made the same journey to pray with an annointed evangelist the sinner's prayer? Or is to walk to the front of the congregation of your local church and shake hands after praying to receive Christ at the altar? How about the child who asks the VBS teacher "how to be saved" after walking away from the craft table with tears in her eyes? Can the boy who sits up in bed and calls out to God for help in the middle of the night after having terrifying visions of hell be saved without walking "down front" after a worship service? Is there one right way and many wrong ways to follow Christ? I for one am more concerned with the person who makes the decision to be a follwer of Christ than where they made the decision. After all when people asked Jesus the directions to heaven He answered with the simple but profound statement, "I AM the WAY." Thankfully He added no further explanation, because I was that boy who found Him in the middle of the night. I have never doubted that He heard me even though it was just me and God in my room that night.
Hanging in there because He hung there for me,
Pastor Ken