Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The BIG "Five-OH"

I write this on the last day of October. That means, in my feeble way of thinking, that the holidays are upon us. I don't consider today a holiday. Holiday comes from "holy" day and there is nothing holy about Halloween. (Don't get me started!) Before you know it my beautiful wife will be playing Christmas music in the house and in her car. We have already recorded QVC every 25th of the month since July, especially Valerie Parr Hill. I am convinced she is not real, but a runaway stepford wife. So our new house will soon be "festooned" with Christmas trinkets. We will have the annual debate to have Thanksgiving dinner at our house or at the Cracker Barrel, which is my second home. Much will be said about where our silver Christmas tree will be placed for all the world to see(my choice) or hid away from the public. (Marilyn's choice) All in all, I like the season. I love to think about the birth of my Savior and all the stories that run parallel to it. You know, wise men following a star, shepherds watching their flock by night, Charlie Brown choosing the tree for the school play, the repentant Grinch learning to enjoy Christmas again. I have the added pleasure of celebrating other landmarks in our family's life as well. Our 15 year old will turn 16 in November, just a week before Thanksgiving. Our anniversary is December 19 and this year it is monumental. Marilyn and I will be married 25 years. It has been the 10 happiest years of my life. (old joke, but still a good one)

Then the day after New Years Day, when the whole world is tired of the holidays, comes January 2nd. To most of you that means the last day off from work or maybe the day your team plays a bowl game on TV. But for me, it will be more dramatic, or maybe traumatic, than that. I will turn the "Big Five-OH". That's right, January 2, 1957, I was born into this world. I know, I know, your thinking, Ken sure doesn't look that old. You are saying that, aren't you? Well I am, and I am taking it hard. I remember when I turned 40 some people put black balloons and streamers on my mailbox. What do you decorate with at 50? ( I thought of a few things, but I don't want to give any body any ideas.) I really believe your age has a lot to with your attitude and my attitude is a lot younger than 50. The only problem is I have never had anyone ask me, "How old are you "attitudanly" speaking." And now I am getting those dreaded invitations to join AARP. What's next, an invitation to tour the funeral and take a test drive of the latest oblong box?

Well, as He often does, the Lord spoke to me in His Word. I didn't go looking for it. It was just there in my daily Bible reading. "So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Pslam 90:12 "For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways." Psalm 91:11 "They shall still bear fruit in old age; They shall be fresh and flourishing....He is my rock." I don't mind growing old, just out of date. Thank goodness, my Rock will keep me fresh and will cause me to flourish until He calls me home.
In His Time,
Pastor Ken