Thursday, October 05, 2006

"Rags" to Riches

Our oldest son used to say when he was little,"Daddy are you preaching now or telling the truth?" I know what he was trying to say, although anyone outside of the family may think the childish statement was questioning my integrity. That wasn't it at all. (I hope) He knew that many of the stories I told while speaking at church were true but from someone elses experiences. He had never seen these events and thus concluded I was lying. The simple truth is I hear stories all the time from people about God's intervention in their lives. I have head of angelic visits where the messenger from heaven appeared long enough to supply a need and then vanished without a trace. I have heard of sums of money coming from unexpected sources in the precise amount to meet an immediate financial crisis. I have been told of plans suddenly canceled because of an uncertain feeling and the delay or cancellation avoid disaster. These stories come unsolicited in person or by email. Now I'm asking for more stories. I call them "Rags to Riches" stories. "Rags" stands for "random acts of generous service." I have asked our members to be generous to people in unexpected ways. Pick up the tab at a restaurant, pay for someone's gas at the pump, while standing in line at the convenient store add someone's purchases to yours. These random acts of generosity will blow people away. They will immediately try to refuse, but I've encouraged them to stand their ground. The next response will be to ask you what they owe you for such a kind act. We are so conditioned to be suspicious of any act of kindness they will probably think you are trying to kidnap them into a cult or convince them to join a pyramid scheme. That's why it is important to just say "I just wanted to be kind" or "I just wanted to bless someone else because I have been blessed." Then walk away. As you walk away ask God to show them what grace is all about. If they stop and ask you again "Why?" then accept that as a divine appointment to explain grace.
Try this one. The next time you eat out, leave an exaggerated tip regardless of service. Or before you pray for the meal, (you do pray before the meal don't you) ask the server if he or she has any concerns that you may include in your prayer. You will be surprised how that makes a difference in the way they treat you and the way you feel. So if you' re a reader of this blog, I am asking that you email me your random acts of kindness and the reaction you received. But, more importantly, how God blesses you for your generosity. Just respond to this blog or go to www.dallasbaybaptist.com and contact me by email from there.
One last thing. Here is a story of mine. I asked the church to respond by being generous in their giving to the Lord last Sunday. When I got to church each of the three services were smaller than typical. I thought that a lot of people may have stayed away just to avoid the guilt when they didn't participate in "proving the Lord faithful" with their tithe. The Lord blessed by doubling our offering amount that we typically receive on the first Sunday of the month. Seventeen families gave for the first time and many families "caught up" so that they could participate and be blessed by the Lord as He opened the windows of heaven and poured out His blessings. And I'm not just preaching, I'm telling the truth!
In His Shadow,
Pastor Ken