Monday, January 15, 2007

Another Great Rags to Riches Story

It's been a while since I shared with you one my great rags to riches stories. This was sent to me just before Christmas. It's very encouraging to hear about the generosity of others. I would have sent it earlier but the blogger program has been on the blink. Now that it is fixed I'll try to catch up. I've got some exciting things to share with you. But for now read this.

"A couple of years ago a gentleman in the community attended our church for a short period of time. He was a member of another church in the Hixson area but for health reasons was attending Dallas Bay because it was closer to home and he did not have to climb any stairs. I have known this man for most of his life from growing up in the Middle Valley area. He and his sister live together and are the only members of his family still alive and they are both in bad health.

One particular Sunday in December he sat across the isle from me and I noticed that he was singing and worshipping the Lord with such a smile on his face. I felt God leading me to speak to him after the service. He started telling me about some health problems that were preventing him from working and that his TennCare coverage was being discontinued. As he was speaking to me God laid something on my heart. I had been told earlier that week that I would be receiving an off cycle salary increase in order to bring me up to the same salary as some other workers in my area. God told me to take the increase amount for the first two paychecks, which was a total of $400, and give it to this man as a Christmas gift. God also told me that the gift needed to be anonymous and told me who should be involved in presenting the money. The two people God had in mind were friends of mine who are husband and wife and also know this man. I called my friends and told them what God had laid on my heart and asked them if they would help me and of course they were more than happy to participate.

About 10 days before Christmas, I took the money to my friends along with a Christmas card that read:
"God wants you to know that you are very special to him and that he loves you very much. Merry Christmas."

My friends called me later that day to thank me for obeying God and for letting them be a part of a Christmas miracle. The man and his sister were so touched that all they could do was cry.

I know that it's not by accident that I received the off cycle pay increase at that particular time and that it's nothing short of a miracle that I even have the job that I do. I now know Gods calling in my life and I'm working toward being totally debt free so that I can help others.

It's truly a blessing to be used by God and to have an opportunity to glorify His name."

It is true that God blesses us so that we may bless others. Keeping sending your stories. It keeps me optimistic about the human race. God bless and I'll write again soon.

Pastor Ken