Thursday, January 04, 2007

Lessons Learned at the House of the Mouse

Howdy ho neighbor, (I always wanted to say that) the Duggan clan is back from "O"town and our rendezouz with Mickey and friends. When I say friends I mean lots and lots of friends. Not only was it the Christmas holidays, but there were two major football games within walking distance of our hotel as well. It was so crowded one day that they actually closed the parks at noon and would not let anyone else in. So you're expecting me to rant and rave about so many people attending amusement parks at over $50 a day and so few people attending church these days. "O contrare, mon ami." (That's "to the contrary, my friend" for the less sophisticated.) We had a great time. I told the family that to enjoy our stay with hundreds of thousands of our closest friends we would have to adjust our attitude. You can't get in a rush. You can't expect to get anywhere quick and without standing in line. You have to think, "It may take 10 hours to get on this ride or into this show, but I'm OK with that." So when the wait is only two hours you're elated because of how swiftly you cruised through the long line. (I know all of you Disneyworld veterans out there will want to lecture me on the use of "fast-passes". I know about them, but it was so crowded that they closed the fast-pass machines before noon.) You can even get to know your neighbor in line. We had several enlightening discussions with people we would have never spoken to if it were not for our common desire to be entertained.

But you know me. I have to find a spiritual insight in everything and at Mickey's kingdom there are several applications for ours as well. It never ceased to amaze me that the cast members (employees every where else) were always smiling and making you feel like you were the first person they had greeted all day long. It was true for the lady who took your 10 bucks at the parking entrance to the tram operator who returned you to your car at the end of the day. It made me think how important it is to treat people well when they come to visit DBBC. Confronted with crowds and long lines it always made me feel better when a person dressed in some wacked-out costume smiled and welcomed our family to their little acre of the kingdom. It is just as important to treat people well at church. They will put up with the inconvenience if they feel like a welcome guest at our little acre of the kingdom.

And what about the cleanliness. It amazes me how clean everything is at Disney. I have been going there since I was a kid and the buildings still look as new as when I first visited. I admire the kind of effort they make in keeping their parks look clean. I have been in some church buildings that are in great dis-repair and the members walk by the damage week after week without giving it a second thought. What kind of first impression does that make to guests when they walk by walls that haven't been painted in years, or through doors that don't latch, or bathrooms that are dingy and dark? Shouldn't we be just as proud of the Lord's house as Mickey is of his?

Finally, whether it is your cup of tea or not, you have to admit that all they do to entertain you in Disneyworld is done with creativity and excellence. I know their motivation is to accummulate the almighty dollar, but should we do any less to fulfill the great commission and introduce people to our Savior? That's why, regardless of the criticism, I'm always going to push for creativity and excellence in worship. Here's praying all your Christmas wishes were fulfilled and all your New Year's resolutions are kept.
In His Shadow,
Pastor Ken