Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A "Rags To Riches" Goes Bust

If you are a regular reader of "His Ways and My Thoughts" you know that on occassion I like to publish a "Rags To Riches" story. (Random Acts of Generous Service) Several of you have admitted that you have wanted to attempt such an act of generosity, but have had a hard time recognizing the opportunity. Well, I thought I would include this "RAGS" story just to show you that given the opportunity it doesn't always go the way you planned. This was sent to me from a member of DBBC.

"Today, I went to lunch with a friend from work. It was raining when we left the office, so we both had umbrellas with us. He was driving through a rough part of town and, as we neared the restaurant, we saw an older lady sitting beside the street, in the rain, in her power wheelchair. We both commented on how pitiful her situation was. I asked my friend to stop so I could talk to the lady and offer her my umbrella. He reminded me that we were in a dangerous part of town. I told him it would be okay and I reached back to get my umbrella as I got out of the car. As soon as she saw me getting out of the car, she put that wheelchair into high and got out of there.
We both had a good laugh about her reaction to us stopping to talk to her. While WE felt we were the ones in a dangerous situation, she apparently perceived that we were somehow dangerous."

This lends new meaning to "the one that got away" story. Keep looking for those God ordained chances to be a blessing to someone less fortunate. And keep sending them my way. Even the ones that don't work out the way you planned.
In His Shadow,
Pastor Ken