Saturday, January 20, 2007

I'm Vent-less For Now

What has come to my attention lately is how my blog differs from other pastors. I was at a meeting of fellow senior pastors in Chattanooga when I was asked why I didn’t use my blog to discuss convention politics. “Why?” I asked. “That’s what they’re used for” I was told. I was then told of several “blog sites” to check out to see what they were doing. I must confess that I never took their advice. Possibly because I know nothing about convention politics nor the people who are talking about it. I also have a shiver in my spine when I use politics and religion in the same sentence. So I will continue to use this blog for which it was always intended; a place to vent. Which makes blogging a little more difficult these days. There’s not much to be angry about and a whole lot to be thankful for.

Last Sunday evening at DBBC we had a full house at a ministry meeting. That is a statement that will usually send a cold chill up any pastor’s backbone. But not this time, it was all for a good thing. We made two big decisions in one night. We introduced a new worship leader without a major revolt in any segment of our congregation. James Dobson will tell you that no other subject elicits more response in his audience than music. People are passionate about it. It is a very emotional issue in the church and to bring in a new minister to lead us in worship music without a lot of ruckus is a God thing.

Then we brought a recommendation from the finance committee to borrow 5 million dollars. That’s 5 with an “m”. We brought 4 options from borrowing 13.5 million dollars to build everything we need to do nothing. Personally, I would have alright with any of the options to do something. My preference would be to borrow the money to do it all and finance it with a 5 year balloon and pray that the Lord returns in 4 years and 11 months. That never got out of committee however. With 4 options and 600 people in a room, especially Baptists, you would think several votes would be necessary to get a majority. You would be rational but wrong. In one unanimous vote we decided to move ahead with one of the options that build the needed resources in phases. The prospective worship leader said in all his years in ministry he had never experienced anything like it. It seems the norm at DBBC is the exception at other churches. My prayer is it will always be that way. So for now you have no gripes from me. All I can do for now is PTL for his goodness.