Friday, February 16, 2007

I Don't Write This Stuff

Just a note: I’m sorry to all my regular blog readers that I have not blogged in so long. My blog editor has been out of service for a while. Hopefully it is back for good. Thanks for you patience.

I was just thinking about how hard we are to understand sometimes. By we, I mean Bible believing Christians. A lot of things we believe seem to go against the current of conventional wisdom. This was brought to my attention by someone who wanted to attend a church where people aren’t told they are sinners. I thought, “hey that kind of appeals to me too.” Just before that conversation someone had just informed that believing Eve came from Adam’s side was hard to swallow. I have to admit that sounds kind of “wack” to me as well. So, why do I believe these “unbelievable” things to be true?
Well let’s consider the alternative. Everybody’s good, or at least basically good on the inside. That squares with what I want to believe just not what I observe. Instead I see formerly bad people change into some of the best people on a regular basis. That only happens when they come to believe that they are indeed “bad people” in need of help. If they don’t begin with that premise then they don’t seek help. It just happens that’s what the Bible says about us. “There is none good” and “we all have fallen short of the glory of God.” So if I have to admit I need help before I’m ready to get help just call me “helpless”.
How about this Eve from Adam thing? Yep, that’s hard to believe too. It sure is easier to believe that some lightning struck (wonder where the lightning came from?) at the precise moment in some primordial ooze pond (wonder who made the ooze?) while two single cell amebas (wonder where…well you get the point) joined and electrified just right to instill energy to recreate…boy this could go on forever. Or maybe it is less of a stretch to believe “in the beginning God created…” Hey maybe we are not so strange after all. Maybe it is the people whose faith is in something other than God that are hard to understand. I didn’t write the Bible where the answers to life’s questions are answered. It’s a good thing too. I would probably have come up with some of the off the wall theories that would try and convince unbelievers that we can figure out just how God did things. I like the fact that I don’t totally understand how or why God did what he did. A God that I can figure out just isn’t big enough to deal with the stuff I have to deal with everyday. Yeah God!
Pastor Ken