Monday, April 02, 2007

Taking a Break From the Hamster Wheel

Just a quick note to give you some insight into my world. It's Monday morning and I made the mistake of looking at my date book. Ouch! My first open date is is in three weeks and three days. The energy level to just contemplate such a schedule is almost more than I have right now, much less actually doing it. It doesn't help that this week will culminate with 4 Sunday morning services beginning at around 7 a.m. I was reminded this weekend how it is easy to lose track of the important things in life when life becomes so hectic. This week my in-laws will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. Marilyn and I are going to step off the hamster wheel we've been on for so long and take them to a nice restaurant. Are there more pressing things to be done? Will I lose ground for this busy week? The answer is yes to both of those questions, but sometimes we must separate the most pressing from the most important. Fifty years is quite an accomplishment in a day when more than half of marriages fail in the first few years. So we're going to take a break this evening. Easter will wait. Men's retreats will still be there when we return. There is no option between rusting out or burning out in my life. So while I still got some wick left I'm going to shine my light tonight on two people who deserve it most, Mr. and Mrs. John Elsea. Congratulations.
In His Shadow,
Pastor Ken